Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 11 yr. Old male cat is in kidney failure...I just found

Customer Question

My 11 yr. Old male cat is in kidney failure...I just found out and Im devastated. He has a creatine level over 6 but under 7( a week ago it was 3.1), a heart murmur that's a 4 out of 6, has lost 1 pound in the last week alone, the vet did an ultrasound yesterday and his kidneys were very small and sickly, he is frail, and hes been eating 2 X's a day and vets sub iv of 150mg every 2 days. I need to know how much pain he's in and is putting him to sleep the right thing to do for him? Thanks for being here to help us both. - Katie -
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi Katie. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little guy. What is his name? Has he still been eating and drinking? In a situation with chronic renal failure, it is a progressive disease. It is one that at some point will cause his quality of life to be where it shouldn't. Is that getting close? It may be unfortunately. These cases are ones where it depends on how far an owner wants to push things. Can the fluids under the skin be increased to once a day? That can improve hydration and keep him going longer. The biggest thing I feel is that he should be social, eating, drinking and comfortable. He need to be getting these out of life to be in a position where it is fair to him to keep going. The actual chronic renal failure isn't a painful thing, but more of a draining situation. I compare it to being like a battery. As the renal function decreases, they just get weaker and weaker. It again isn't a physical pain that is associated with this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi..thanks for your response. He is eating normally w wet food bit he drinks an ungodly amount of water then urinates for 40 seconds and the pee is very frothy. His quality of life has gone down but he still loves to cuddle but not so much play now a days. His brother, my other cat, won't stop hissing at him and being mean to my sick Piggie! They have been living together for almost 10 yrs now. Can he smell he's sick? I want to increase the sub iv to everyday just cuz he's drinking like a fish and all throughout the night too but not retaining it. He's got horrible teeth and gum disease...I know that's painful for him. I was going to get his teeth done but then found out about the kidney failure. I don't want to spend $1000 to fix his teeth when he looks to be on hia way home. Thoughts???

Sorry for my delay. That is good that he's still eating the food well and drinking well. The urination for that long of a time is due to the fluids he's getting and the fact that he can't conserve water with his kidney function. I would say that if he's still doing this well and being social, you're not putting him through too much to continue. The other cat may be less social as he's smelling on him new odors from the trips to the vet clinic. The SQ fluids actually is pretty benign of an event for these guys to have done. I wouldn't feel in his situation addressing the teeth is a good idea. He's got the kidney disease and that is the big issue.