Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My guinea pig is g slower than usual, his penis is out and

Customer Question

My guinea pig is g slower than usual, his penis is out and he's making a strange noise now again like a squeak and rumble combined sound. He's not eating well either. What do I do? He's about five and half.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he been like this?

Is he straining like he needs to urinate?

Has he been passing less or more urine then usual? Any changes to the urine?

Is the penis swollen? Can it be replaced into the sheath? Does it seem sore?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. He's been this way for about 5 days now. I can't tell if he's having issues urinating. I think he may be having issues moving his bowels. It does seem like his penis is swollen but it's kind of wrinkled. I don't know what "can it be replaced into the sheath" means. I've never seen this happen to him.Also, it says you're a cat veterinarian. My pet is a guinea pig. Are you familiar with treating/diagnosing them?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

You have posted to cat vet section, but I do treat all small animal and exotics species in my clinic.

And I must say that if he has had a swollen and extruded penis for 5 days (where it cannot be returned to a normal position), you need him seen urgently. It may be that a primary constipation has precipitated this, but a bladder infection, urinary crystal irritation/partial blockage, bladder stone, or bladder tumor are more likely culprits. Furthermore, if you aren't sure if he can urinate and he cannot, this can be fatal if left. So, it is an urgent situation that needs to be attended to. Especially if his appetite is on the wane since secondary gut stasis could easily push him over the edge.

Overall, you have a very serious situation on your hands and we'd want him seen urgently to pinpoint the cause of penile displacement and get this under control. From there, your vet can diagnose which of the above is to blame, address it, and give your lad the best chance of recovering from this. If you don’t already have an exotics vet and wish to find one, you can do so via http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm, http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html, or can seek our your local rabbit vet (http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/), as they too will often see our wee pocket pets as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rebecca Wolfson. How is everything going?

Dr. B.