Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

Cat 2yrs old stopped eating very bad breath uncontrolled

Customer Question

Cat 2yrs old stopped eating very bad breath uncontrolled peeing drooling female
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 month ago.

Hi there James, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay the following:

1. Name of your cat?

2. Is she spayed?

3. How long ago since her change in appetite, drooling, bad breath, and uncontrolled urination started?

4. Has she received any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Squirt. Yes. Answer to #3 is 4days for all. No meds

Hi James, thank you for that additional information. I am sorry Squirt is not doing well. I will discuss a few possible causes of her symptoms, some of the more common causes, but there are numerous possibilities.

1. Kidney disease- this can explain all of Squirt's symptoms. Kidney disease can be brought on by many different things. Urinary infections, urinary tract stones, congenital kidney abnormalities, and ingestion of particular household items toxic to cats (medications, plants- in particular lilies, antifreeze, grapes, raisins) can all cause kidney injury and lead to kidney failure in cats. Once kidney disease has progressed to kidney failure, uremia develops which can cause the foul odor from the mouth as well as painful sores and ulceration in the mouth. Once in kidney failure, thirst and urination become excessive. The kidneys cannot hold on to water and excessive amounts of urine are expelled, resulting in dehydration.

2. The next possibility is diabetes. Diabetes causes excessive thirst and urination due to high amounts of sugar in the bloodstream.

3. Severe dental disease/ abscessed teeth. This will cause a foul odor from the mouth, drooling, and loss of appetite.

Squirt sounds very ill. My recommendation is to bring her in ASAP (ideally today) to he veterinarian. They will be able to examine her and perform the blood and urine tests necessary to diagnose what may be causing her illness. It does sound as though she may require a stay in the hospital in order to be able to provide her with IV fluids and medications.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. I hope everything turns out for the best for Squirt!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What a rip

OK, sounds like you are dissatisfied. May I ask, what exactly were you expecting?

OK, I will go ahead and opt myself out of this question so that another expert will have the opportunity to assist you more to your satisfaction. I hope Squirt is able to get the treatment it sounds like she needs in order to get better! Once I opt out, I will not be able to view any further messages from you. Take care!