Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital

My 17 year old cat was diagnosed with malignancy in his eye.

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat was diagnosed with malignancy in his eye. He is eating very well and is in no apparent pain. It has recently started bleeding and he lets me clean it gently with a warm tissue and then dry it. If surgery is recommended, I will not allow him to have it. Is there anything I can do, other than what I am doing now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No. he is otherwise big and healthy and really enjoys food. I have other cats and Hero finishes whatever they leave over.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr.KV. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question right now and will respond to you in just one moment...

I'm very sorry to hear about Hero's diagnosis. Cats can be very skilled at hiding signs of pain, so it is important to observe him closely for any changes in behavior. A good appetite is a good indicator that he is feeling generally well right now. If his eye has discharge or blood, the malignancy could be growing or irritating the delicate tissue of the eye. Your vet can prescribe some topical medications to help control these secondary problems. This may reduce inflammation and help with pain.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat