Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat 14 year old 16 lb rescue cat who I have had for 8

Customer Question

my cat 14 year old 16 lb rescue cat who I have had for 8 years has diabetes, is on insulin, history of severe asthma symptoms takes prenisalone 5mg split in two doses a day. Problems walking due to bad hip now. he has fleas from our out door cat. I am afraid to treat him with advantage because he has endured so much illness over the years and is kind of frail. I just bathed him with dawn and put vasaline on his betty to try and kill the baby fleas. I was thinking of giving him a kitten dose od advantage but would not know where to put it as he gets his insulin injections in his neck . can you advise? thank you kindly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Hmm why would he have a wound on his foot? He has been examined many times with no noticeable injury.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: no not that I can think of other than He is 14 years old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has he had any problems with flea medication in the past?