Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Our cat went without insulin for a few days, after her

Customer Question

our cat went without insulin for a few days, after her insulin bottle was accidently dropped and broken. when the new bottle came in, we started her off at a small dose and gradually upped the dosage toward her normal dose over a period of a few days. The cat over the duration of missing her dose lost her appetite and seems to not be as visually acute as before. She eats little and seems to be losing weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she is around 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about snuggles?
Customer: she's been on 3 units of insulin for about 2 years now, and tends to run a little on the high side of her glucose tests at that dosage our insulin bottle broke on a Thursday and the new one didn't arrive till Monday, so was about 5 days of missed doses.. started her back up at 1 unit.. going back up to the 3 over the course of about 3 days
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Have you checked her glucose reading recently?

When was the last time she ate?

Any bad or different odor to her breath?

Any increase in drinking or urination?