Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

STarted to urinate outside the liter box. He is neutered and

Customer Question

STarted to urinate outside the liter box. He is neutered and about 15 years old. Frequent urination. Does not seem to be in pain. Frequent urinaions. Some meowing but stops the minute someone pets him. No bloody urination. Eats well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Froto
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Froto?
Customer: For many years was indoor/outdoor cat and killer of field mice. About two years ago he came home really banged up with some body wounds and we thought at first a broken leg. Given his age, we decided to make him a fully indoor cat and added a litter box. Supplemented his dry food with after packed solid albacore tuna
JA: Is Froto bleeding a lot?
Customer: None
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Froto sounds like he has either a urinary tract infection or cystitis (inflammation of the bladder). Either can cause inappropriate urination. The only way to differentiate between the two is to have a urinalysis with your local veterinarian. It is also very important to clean up the areas he has urinated with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any scent that may encourage additional soiling in this area in the future. I recommend a product called "Anti Icky Poo" which you can order off of Amazon. I use it myself and have had great success. Feel free to ask follow up questions.