How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 3836
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 4 month old kitten Casper that was diagnosed with

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old kitten Casper that was diagnosed with FIP 4 days ago. He has had a 105 temp since last Wed. He has been completely lethargic, his eyes run to a point where they are closed and I have to open them by using warm water and a cotton ball. I try to force feed him. He eats a small amount I force water into him. He has been treated at the vet with IV . My question is how long should I keep doing this and say enough is enough and have him put down. Can he go on like this for weeks?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Casper. I can honestly say that you're in a situation that is the hardest one to be in as an owner. When do you let him go? It sounds like he's not doing well. With that diagnosis of the FIP, he's not going to do well as it will be a progressive disease. It sounds like his overall quality of life is not good at this point. I tell owners that they a pet should be social, eating, drinking, comfortable, and able to enjoy the days to have a good quality of life. If Casper has been deteriorating despite all the therapy that has been done to this point, it doesn't look good. Some owners will fight down to the last tooth and nail to have their pets around. Others will look at the overall picture and make a quality of life decision much sooner. You wouldn't be wrong to have your vet let him go if he's doing this poorly at this time. What did they say about his situation when he was being treated with the IV's?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They sent him home with me and told me that there was not anything else they can do I have another weeks worth of antibiotics and was going to wait til they were done but he just seems to get worse and he is breaking my heart just looking at him I just keep thinking is he in pain and is it selfish of me to keep him going like this.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

You are the one that is there seeing how he's doing. If he's failing, then it may be time to let him go. The antibiotics are helping with any secondary infections that may be present. If everything is due to the FIP, then there is really nothing that can stop the progression of that devastating disease. I know you don't want to give up on him, but it sounds like letting him go is the best thing for him. You've given him the best chance you and your vets could.