Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I accidentally put two drops of eucalyptus oil on my cats

Customer Question

I accidentally put two drops of eucalyptus oil on my cats food - two drops. I thought it was a calming oil. When I realized it I pulled the food away. I'm not sure if he got one drop.
What should I do!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

It is difficult to know how much of a problem this might be. There are different species of eucalyptus and some have different compounds in them... some have cyanide like compounds that are more of a problem for livestock, less for other animals. I can only say that most eucalyptus species consumed in small amounts will just cause stomach upset... such as vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.

There is no way to know for sure how concentrated or what species of eucalyptus is in the oil. For now I would recommend monitoring. If you want to be proactive you can take her to the vet and they can give her some activated charcoal to bind any potential toxins in the intestine to be on the safe side. If you want to just monitor, them you would be watching for vomiting/diarrhea/loss of appetite. If you see these symptoms then you should take her to the vet for supportive treatment.

I think there is a good chance she will be just fine, but I just can't be sure exactly what is in the oil. I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 month ago.
Hi Beth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rue. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy