Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

We believe that she got assaulted sexually by another cat.

Customer Question

We believe that she got assaulted sexually by another cat. She is traumatized and isolating herself. Found a terrible wound on her back paw and the claw had been entirely ripped out. Took her to the animal hospital, they gave her fluids, an antibiotic shot and pain shot that were to last 3 days. It is only the following day and she is isolating still in strange places and just urinated on herself for the first time ever. Any advice? She's 12 years old and is the size of a large kitten bc when I found her 12 years ago she was so malnourished she never grew.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is bc bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. The wound is bad but I'm hydrogen proroxiding and Neosporining it every three-four hours. No blood in urine, but she was upstairs when she did it and her litter box is in the basement, 2 floors down. When chased out of her hiding spots though, she runs fine. Then just appears traumatized and looks for more strange spots to hide.
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about bc?
Customer: That's it for now from what I can tell. Just weird that she urinated on herself, not even on the floor. Strange.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your girl. What is her name? Has she ate or drank since returning from the vet's office? Did they clip and clean the wounds? Do they have a collar on her so she can't lick / groom this area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her name is***** ate and drank before the vet after we found her but not since then. I have fully cleaned the area of the wound. She has a collar but I do not believe that it is preventing her from cleaning herself. I saw tiny droplets of urine on my carpet as she was under the bed. I picked her up, she was just soaked in urine.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for all that good information about Keiko. It is good that she's able to run around just fine when she feels the need to do this. Why did she just urinate where she was at? That is a good question that may not have a specific answer. She is mobile but could she just not want to get out of that area to do her duties in her normal area? With what you're describing, she could have been attacked by another cat, but being hit by a car is also a very good rule out too. I've seen situations there cats that have been hit by cars can look very similar to ones that are in fights. If she's not moving her tail, then I'm more concerned with neurologic injury to possibly her bladder and this could cause her to not urinate well on her own. If she's moving her tail all around normally, then this would seem less likely. With wounds, after they are clipped and cleaned, then keeping them from licking them, antibiotics and time are the usual path to getting them to heal. Any chance you can post a picture of the wound - I'm curious to how extensive it is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was upstairs under the bed, I noticed a few trickles of urine on the carpet and got her out and she was soaked. Her litter box is in the basement three floors below. She is wagging her tail as that is how she shows me affection when she is resting. I know she's hurting, I know she's not normal. She had been raped by a multitude of cats when I found her in Florida. Cost me $2000 when I captured her to fix all her problems but she was raped so often by the larger cats that she has been traumatized since and this seems like the same type of mannerism she displayed when I found her 12 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

If she's spayed, then she's not having heat cycles that would physically attract and intact male. If she's getting into altercations with cats and she's spayed, these are not sexual in nature. They are territorial and behavioral in nature. Some cats just don't do well getting along with others. As far as what you can do for her, bringing the litter box upstairs and into that room is an option. She is one that is not willing to move around a lot at this time. Having food and water there will help to encourage her to eat and drink. There is a product called Feliway that can be used as a diffuser to help reduce stress for her. As far as pain relief, there is nothing that you can give her at home to help with this. Time is going to be hopefully the best thing for her. Getting further out from the trauma so her body heals.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Quick question. My cat is only 5 lbs. Her growth was stunted due to malnutrition. The vet at the emergency room gave her 3 mg of buprenorphine. It says on the websites I've seen that the normal dosage for a normal sized cat is 1.8 mg. If that is accurate, then she got almost twice the dosage as would a normal sized cat. Also, would this contribute to her abnormal lethargy, lack of appetite and urination on herself? She literally cannot move, it's almost like she's catatonic; in addition, her pupils are as big as saucers. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

3 mg of Buprenorphine is a pretty good dose of it for a girl her size. It can when used at higher doses cause lethargy and sedation. What you're describing definitely sounds in the realm of a reaction to the sedative properties of the burpenorphine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's at least a hope for me bc she is just so incredibly sedate and almost comatose. Plus the urinating on herself twice now and no eating. I'm gonna wait til Tuesday and if she isn't normalizing, I'm gonna take her to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I've seen some at my ER that are more sensitive to buprenorphine and they can get really sedate. Hopefully it will improve as her body processes it out. It can take around 6-8 hours for it to really start to wear off. Hopefully she's breathing normally and has nice pink gums.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. I know her gums are good. I'm more worried about her breathing, it's been shallow and rapid then heavy and labored. It vacillates quickly when moved at all.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hopefully this is the sedation from the buprenorphine. Could it be from the actual trauma that happened earlier that is progressing? That is something I'm hoping it isn't because of. At this time at home, the best you can do there is to have her in a comfortable, quiet, warm area where she can just rest.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?