Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

My 14 year old started sniffing walls and corners

Customer Question

My 14 year old started sniffing walls and corners obsessively for a couple of hours. He was not himself. Pupils seemed highly dilated and when I petted him he bit my hand hard. Once he finally fell asleep and seemed way more normal when he woke a few hours later. I tested his insulin at about 10 hours after his shot and he was 90. I am guessing his behaviour is from low blood sugar. Very concerned and out of town with him so cannot take him to his long-term vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: This happened once before 2-3 months ago. He is a hard to regulate burmese-bengal on 1 unit of lantis and highly responsive to a small change in dosage.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Pulter. I am a small animal veterinarian. I can help with your kitty today.

Low blood sugar can cause a pet to behave abnormally. Cats in an agitated state can bite as result of not being able to control what is going on.

What is your cat's name? Is he eating and drinking normally? Going to the bathroom normally?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** is that he had a full blood panel a few months ago, just prior to the first time this happened and he was doing well. I am fine with his biting - I am more concerned for WHY he bit me and why he was so disoriented and I imagine miserable.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is back to normal, although there is an uptick in his drinking and urinating as I dropped his insulin dose to closer to .75 units since he seemed to have gone hypo on one (or possibly a drop over 1)

Of course. It is distressing when a pet acts out of the ordinary. Cat's tend to stress easily and it is possible that the stress has upset his diabetic regulation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can cats lose sight for a few hours when they have low BG? I have read a little on this but have not seen anything definitive.

Cat's can also go into remission spontaneously and may not need insulin at all! So as you can see cats are fickle. What I would do is call your regular vet for advise about your cat's insulin dose as soon as you can (I know holiday weekend) as they will know your cat better than I. In the mean time if he act's strange like this again if you can get a glucose reading that would be best so you can give that information to your vet and give some syrup if it is low. I cannot comment on if you should stop insulin or change doses as I don't have an exam on your cat. If you are very worried i would try to seek emergency veterinary care during one of these times in case he needs medical intervention.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

A low blood sugar can cause a lot of different weird things to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if a patient lost their sight for a little while. They can also act disturbed, or very lethargic or have seizures which is the most concerning. I am sorry about your kitty and I hope he does well. let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.