Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 6 1/2 yr old cat Laci had always been a fantastic eater

Customer Question

My 6 1/2 yr old cat Laci had always been a fantastic eater up until about 3 1/2 years ago.(dry food/canned fancy feast) Suddenly she would walk away from her canned/not like a certain flavor....very unpredictable. I tried other brands with no success. I was always very concerned because she didn't eat enough dry to make up for the lack of canned yet she always maintained her weight in the 8lb range.(she is petite) During this time there were no other issues except occasional vomiting food/bile/fur. I began seeing signs of illness 8/2015. Early morning vomits of bile and very nauseous. Vet treated with cerenia injection and bloodwork was normal. Repeat of this winter 2016 which I treated successfully with cerenia tablet. Repeat May 2016...cerenia injection, normal bloodwork. Early August had 24 hours of frequent yet small bouts of diarreah. Vet treated successfully with Metronidazole. Late August early morning bile vomits/nauseous. I treated with cerenia tablet and vet performed ultrasound. The results were fine; no showings. I go to Orchard Park Veterinary medical center which is very advanced and reputable so I do trust the results. During this past year Lacis appetite was all over the place up/down yet always maintained her weight. Since the ultrasound 8/25/16 Lacis appetite has diminished more...eats very little...weight now decreasing. She does drink water. She also has occasional diarreah. Vet began treating her for Inflammatory Bowel this past Thursday.(I opted not to confirm with biopsies) Shes on 50mg Metronidazole 2x day. Yesterday, Saturday 9/3, I gave her Mirtazapine for her appetite 10:15 am. Within 1/2 hour she was eating great! My gut told me it was wearing off at night. We are back to eating very little again and I woke up to very soft/borderline diarreah in the litterbox. I have lost 2 cats to lymphoma. Dr said given her ultrasound results chances are "low"...her intestines showed no thickening. I believe our next step will be prednisolone. I wish I knew either way what was going on....Ive exhausted researching IBS, etc! She definitely is acting 'off' yet not lethargic, she washes and when I bring out a long feather boy can she play! I cant help but wonder if her sudden appetite change back in 2013 is somehow linked to this. Thank you for your time and assistance. Laura
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Hi Laura,

I am sorry Laci is having so much trouble.

Can you please list the foods she eats?

Is her main protein source poultry?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She eats fancy feast canned "classic" variety which is pate form...chicken,salmon,ocean whitefish are her usual when she eats it. As far as dry food she is currently eating fancy feast ocean fish and salmon with accents of garden greens. I know it is not good quality...right now need her to eat. I got her on Purina One sensitive systems after her bout of diarrhea early August. She liked it until vomiting started end of August. Main ingredient is turkey. Vet would love to get her on special diet but her appetite is so poor now. She ate some hills I/D canned but I wind up dumping rest of can. Eats many flavors of Party Mix and Temptations cat treats. As of now her appetite for treats remains. I feel like my answer to your question is all over the place but that is how her appetite has been...now very low.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Hi Laura,

Can you please list the foods she eats?

Is her main protein source poultry?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just answered this above. Please let me know it it does not show
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Dear *****,

First of all don't worry about the quality of the food, cats prefer foods with a strong odor so as long as she eats, that's fine.

In my experience the two most common causes of food allergies are poultry and an ingredient called carageenan:
http://www.rodalenews.com/carrageenan-pet-food

Check the labels to see if Laci's food includes carageenan.

I also would like you to stop any poultry for a two week trial period.

Since she likes fish lets stick to that or beef, rabbit, venison or lamb.

You will find tasty non allergic foods here:

www.wildcalling.com

It is also best to feed pate foods and stop anything dry or with chunks, pieces or shreds when she is vomiting.

In her evening meal add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

If she ever has diarrhea add one tablespoon of rice cereal or boiled white rice to a can of food.

If she gets dehydrated give her tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how she is doing on this non poultry diet.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did try Pepcid with no success. I read about carrageenan and I believe fancy feast contains. I will check the links you provided. Last weekend I purchased several cans of more natural food which got dumped because she won't eat. Unfortunately the appetite stimulate only worked for the day. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Dear *****,

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Try baby food beef, veal, ham or lamb.Warm the food to bring out the aroma.

She can also have people tuna in water or salmon.

Let me know how she does off poultry for two weeks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Your suggestions would be more helpful in a cat with an appetite. I will see if I can tempt her with baby food. I can't give her another appetite stimulant for another 26 hrs.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Try warm baby food. Most cats love that and will not refuse it.

Let me know if she eats or not.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.
Hi Laura,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Laci. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As of now she's doing pretty well. Gained a bit of weight and eating better. I haven't omitted anything from her diet...like I said prior she's not the best eater to begin with so she is definitely not the type of cat I can add or subtract different types of food. I have to give her what she will eat. She is still on Metronitrazal for another week. So as of now given a perfect ultrasound 2 weeks ago it appears it very well could be IBS. I attached a picture I took now. The toy is Lacis hunting toy. She carries it around the house and sometimes brings it right to me. Of course she gets much praise!
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

AWW, Laci s GORGEOUS! Did you try baby food?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought beef baby food that day you suggested but later in the day is when her appetite began improving so haven't given to her.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

GREAT! I am absolutely thrilled that Laci is eating. That is awesome!

You can always feed her warm baby food to get her started.

Fancy feast cat food works well too.

Read about IBS here:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/brochure_ibd.cfm

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. Rating will not close our conversation. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.