Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

Can you explain to me what the possibility is of deafness in

Customer Question

Can you explain to me what the possibility is of deafness in a cat who is all white with one green eye and one blue eye? Is there any danger of bilateral deafness?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Dottie, according to the Cornell Veterinary School "Researchers found that only 17 to 22 percent of white cats with non-blue eyes are born deaf. The percentage rises to 40 percent if the cat has one blue eye, while upwards of 65 to 85 percent of all-white cats with both eyes blue are deaf. Some of these cats are deaf in only one ear. (Hence, there is a danger of bilateral deafness.) Interestingly, if a white cat with one blue eye is deaf in only one ear, that ear will invariably be on the same side of the head as the blue eye."

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.