Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Hopefully I don't sound like I'm overreacting. All that's

Customer Question

Hopefully I don't sound like I'm overreacting. All that's happening is he is sneezing a lot. Much more than I've ever heard him before A couple times it looks like he is really struggling to sneeze but nothing comes out And he seems to constantly be licking his nose, I presume because of mucus or running So I wanted to see what this may be before it turns into something more serious
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is about 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fiyero?
Customer: That's really it. He has never had any problems before
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Fiyero. In the great majority of cases, such sneezing represents feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) infection. I also consider the bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila in these cats. The good news is that the great majority of cats remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks. I rarely treat them with antibiotics unless they worsen within the initial 7 days following the onset of symptoms rather than improve. Doxycycline is my antibiotic of choice should an antibiotic be necessary. FHV-1 won't respond to an antibiotic but the bacteria are quite sensitive to doxycycline.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.