Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My cat had babies about 6 weeks ago. All of the kittens are

Customer Question

My cat had babies about 6 weeks ago. All of the kittens are gone. During the ,,4th to 6th weeks she didn't want to nurse them anymore. Now her breast look like they are swollen with milk and are hard. When she lays down she looks like she has a pouch of milk that seems to be sore to the touch. She comes to me and meows all day and night. I wish I knew what she is trying to say.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are any mammary glands red or warm to the touch?

Is just one mammary gland affected, or are multiple ones affected?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. If the mammary gland is red and warm, it is probably infected. It sounds like she may have mastitis. She need to be on antibiotics. Sometimes mastitis gets bad enough that it requires surgery to clear the infection. I would definitely get her to your vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can try putting a warm compress on the mammary gland to see if it will start draining. She may not like it, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Sasha is doing and to see if you have any further questions.