Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My adopted 5 yr cat with a chip that wasn't registered was

Customer Question

My adopted 5 yr cat with a chip that wasn't registered was running loose in the neigobrhood and would jump on the windowsill crying to get in all night. Animal rescue picked her up couldn't find owner, she's in perfect condition & has all shots. Today she bit my grandmother (Coumadin) three times 'playing'. What should I do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your neighborhood kitty bit your grandmother. I would strongly recommend taking her to an urgent care facility immediately to have them evaluate the wound and consider putting her on antibiotics. Cat bite wounds can become infected very quickly and a person can become septic (blood infection) within 12 hours of the bite. It is great that Bean is current on her shots, so there is no risk of Rabies.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

I'm sorry, but I'm not set up for phone calls. I can continue to chat with you in this forum until all of your questions are answered, though. Dr. A

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry my phone was busy but is now free 5:05
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I don't know how to train this cat not to bite and wonder if it was a lost pet for too long...maybe it's partly feral now but the SPCA Vet completely cleared her health and behaviors.

Okay. Biting, especially in play, can be tough to train out of cats.

First, were you able to get your grandmother to an urgent care to see a physician?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, the RN next door used antiseptic and bandaged it with a compression bandage - we are timing her bleeding and if not stopped within the hour...will take her to Doctor.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We've also increased her Gatorade intake.

The best way to train out the biting is to monitor the kitty's behavior and ignore her or remove her from the room or area if she is becoming over-stimulated.

Most cats will only play bite if over-stimulated and this is usually precluded by dilated pupils, faster movements, rolling on the ground and faster breathing. Play needs to be stopped at this point so she doesn't get so stimulated she bites.

Reward for calm behavior is also important, like verbal praise and gentle petting, avoiding the back half of the body.

This may be an on-going problem for her, though, so be prepared to remove her from the area if she gets excited.

Also, just antiseptic is NOT ENOUGH for your grandmother. If the cat bite broke the skin, she needs to start antibiotics to prevent infection. Your nurse friend should know that. Please take her to see a doctor immediately.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there is no overlay from being someone's kitty and living in the wild until we got h er...she would perch on the window sill and cry to come in the house but we didn't know her so didn't let her in

No, play biting comes from overstimulation and also from not learning "bite inhibition" from playing with humans as a kitten. She may still be very tame and a great companion, but between not learning to be gentle and being more prone to overstimulation, you will have to be more careful with her.

Good morning! How is Bean today? How is your grandmother?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda