Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

Have a 15 year old male cat (Chester). He was just at his

Customer Question

Have a 15 year old male cat (Chester). He was just at his vet last weekend for checkup. Did blood and urine. All was fine except creatine up to 230 because of high protein diet he has been on since March. He has just been reintroduced to dry food for a week now. Yesterday, i noticed a small red sore by one of his bottom incisor teeth. Could this be caused by the reintroduction to dry food? Something to be concerned about?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Donna, can you tell me, please, if the "red sore" is on the tooth itself or, instead, on the gum holding that tooth? In either case, diet shouldn't be incriminated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Michael it's on the gum beside his tooth
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His vet looked in his mouth last week but i am not sure if this was there then

Thank you. If there's any chance of uploading a photo of this sore, I'd like to take a look at it. You can upload by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

My primary worry is that the tooth root has abscessed and you're seeing a fistula (draining tract) develop from that root to the surface of his gum. There are any number of "sores" that can develop in that area, however, including those due to infection (periodontitis) and neoplasia (cancer). If there were more of these, ulceration secondary to chronic renal insufficiency would need to be considered although I would find that unusual with a creatinine at just 230. Please note that any elevation in creatinine due to excessive protein is expected to be mild and transient.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
taking picture now - give me a few minutes please thanks

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi Michael. I just think i sent you the picture. Please let me know if you got it

Nothing has arrived, Donna.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We sent it via replying to your email

That won't work. It needs to be uploaded to this conversation in the manner in which I described above. Alternatively, it can be sent to***@******.*** who will forward it to me. That can take up to 24 hours, however.