petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat has been peeing small spots of blood and a small

Customer Question

Hi - my cat has been peeing small spots of blood and a small blood clot. Should we rush her to a vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 15 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alisha?
Customer: No - she has been pretty healthy all of her life.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Alisha today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How long has this been going on?

Does she seem uncomfortable?

Is she still eating and drinking normally?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is eating and drinking. She is constantly looking for a place to go pee. She is pooping in her box though. After the blood clot passed she seemed more relaxed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has just started this morning with the blood.
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

It sounds like she is experiencing inflammation of the bladder but the cause of the inflammation can be due to various things. In an older cat, a bacterial infection is more likely than in a younger cat. Bladder stones are another possible cause, but in some cases, we will see inflammation due to unknown cause occurring and this condition is referred to as idiopathic cystitis. In all of the cases, if there is enough inflammation that she is bleeding and producing blood clots, she has to be fairly uncomfortable. For that reason, even though these are not usually life threatening cases, I would recommend veterinary intervention sooner versus later so that the diagnosis can be made and medications to help make her more comfortable prescribed. Besides a thorough physical exam, a urinalysis and possibly even an abdominal xray should be performed to help diagnose.

In the meantime, try to encourage increased water intake as best you can. You can add warm water or broth to her food to make it is soupy as she will allow. This will help to keep her urine more dilute and will help to flush out her urinary system.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Dr Z. We appreciate your answer. We will make an appointment to take her in right away.
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

You are most welcome. Good luck with her an please keep me updated on how things progress.