Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My cat is newly diagnosed with Diabetes as of 7/29. We have

Customer Question

My cat is newly diagnosed with Diabetes as of 7/29. We have been to the vet and had her levels checked weekly since then. Her readings are still between 430-730. She was on Novolin (insulin) and the dose was increased several times. Now she is on Vetsulin, in one weeks time her reading went from 714 to only 668.
Is this process NORMAL?? Or is it time for a second opinion?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill Diabetes does take some time to find the right dose and occasionally changing type of insulin is necessary. However, insulin is not the only component of treating diabetes. Diet is also a very important part of regulating them and sometimes converting them to a non diabetic status. I always say trust your gut and get a second opinion. The second opinion should be with an internal medicine specialist. They are the top of the line choice for diabetes management. Please post any follow up questions take care.

Hi Melisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mymy. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill