Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I brought my 11 week old kitten home a week ago, from the

Customer Question

I brought my 11 week old kitten home a week ago, from the pound. He started sneezing 2 days after I brought. Mild at first then picked up over the next couple days. I changed the litter from a lavender scented litter to a non scented litter thinking it could be an allergy issue. That was yesterday. Today he seems to have a cough/congestion in the chest. Still playful with a full appetite. Time to go see a vet?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. I have to agree, yes time to see the vet. You see young kittens are very prone to infectious respiratory diseases, and the ones which come from the pound are prime candidates. More info via this link : LINK

2. Sadly there is nothing much you can hope to do in this sort of situation in terms of home remedies but your vet can give him prescription drugs such as antibiotics. These sorts of respiratory diseases are unlikely to fatal but they are uncomfortable for your kitten and in some cases can turn into chronic disease.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your kitten is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the respiratory symptoms ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?