Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

We have a 17 yr old who has a history of minor difficulty

Customer Question

We have a 17 yr old who has a history of minor difficulty swallowing and then needing to swallow a great deal after eating as if there is something in his throat needing to be cleared. Most recently this Bx is increasing and he is now thowing up after drinking water. He appears to have severe difficulty swallowing. I just came home from work and I'm afraid he might be dehydrated. He is lying down and appears to lack energy. He purrs when I touch him and he tried once to drink but threw it up. It's Friday night. I might be able to get him into an emergency vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Not particularly that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to take the cat to the vet now. Please refund my transaction. I am sorry for your inconvenience.

I"m sorry to hear of this with your elderly cat. He's likely to be profoundly dehydrated as are most advanced geriatric cats and he hasn't been able to replace his fluid deficit to boot. If you can have an on-call vet attend to him, please do so even if it's just for his receiving subcutaneous fluids and electrolytes. His difficulty swallowing at his advanced age is likely to represent neoplasia (cancer) in his oropharynx or esophagus. Less commonly, a neuromuscular disorder resulting in megaesophagus (a ballooning out of his normally rigid esophagus) or an achalasia (swallowing defect of neurogenic origin) will be present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.