Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I am moving into a condo. My 12yr old hair male likes to go

Customer Question

I am moving into a condo. My 12yr old long hair male likes to go out and eat grass now he cannot do that. Both he and my other tabby both have sensitive stomachs. Beside buying the grass in the pet store is there another product out there that will not ruin the rugs or floors?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I want to best understand the nature of your question. When you say "another product that will not ruin the rugs or the floors", how are you seeing that being the grass in the pet store as doing this. I want to best get a picture of that. Are you worried they will knock it around and get dirt in the house?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sorry.Oliver has long hair he throws up his hair balls after he eats grass so he won't be able to go out now .besides buying grass at the pet store.Is there dry food out there for sensitive stomachs.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Oh. Ok. I'm understanding the situation better. One of the best things that can be done for cats that have frequent hair balls is brushing on a regular basis. This helps to drastically reduce the amount of fur ingested. I know some can make this a huge challenge (I have one of those cats that falls into this category!). What can help is to have as good of a brush as possible to get as much out as they'll allow. I personally like the brushes made by the "Fulminator" company. These just do a way better job. If this is something that isn't being done, I'd ad this into the situation. There are definitely diets that are out there that are geared up for those with more sensitive stomachs. Ian's, Hill's, Eukanuba all put out sensitive stomach diets. You could ask your vet which they carry as they most likely would be the best source for one of these. Giving an oral product like Laxaire can be done to help lubricate hair that is ingested to help it pass. These are some initial ideas I have. Let me know what questions these created.