Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My cat is 15 years old and has recently been throwing up

Customer Question

My cat is 15 years old and has recently been throwing up more and drinking a lot of water. We introduced a new kitten two weeks ago and she was upset but then okay; however, she is now all of a sudden not eating much, denying treats, drinking lots of water and denying my attention.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: We have given her tuna in a can a few times in the last few weeks but not a significant amount. She has had it before as as treat
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Smundge
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smundge?
Customer: No
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She also pooped in the house in the corner which is out of her character
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your cat!!!

Because she is an older cat and is having increased water intake, this is a concern which I would recommend a visit to your vet for. In older cats, we do worry if they start drinking increased amounts of water, as this can be a sign of kidney disease (very common in older cats, and can also cause nausea and vomiting), diabetes, and thyroid disease. The safest thing to do would be to have your vet examine your kitty and run some bloodwork to check and see if all organ function is normal. It may be coincidental that these symptoms have arisen at the same time as you bringing home a new kitten, and I would hate for you to assume it was a behavioral/stress issue and delay getting a diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment for her. We can see inappropriate elimination (pooping or peeing outside of the box) related to stress, or decreased appetite, but it would be unusual to see vomiting and increased water intake as a result of stress or household changes.