Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat is being treated for diabetes. I fed my cat 3 hours

Customer Question

My cat is being treated for diabetes. I fed my cat 3 hours ago and I gave him a shot of insulin. I thought my cat had a hairball but my cat threw up all his food. Should I feed my cat again?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello Morgan,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Yes it would be best to feed your cat again just to be on the safe side, put very simply food increases blood sugar but insulin reduces it so clearly there is some degree of risk of a low blood sugar { Hypoglycaemia } situation developing.

2. Look out for signs of hypoglycaemia such as lethargy and incoordination and if in doubt give your cat something sweet and sugary orally, but if this does not quickly work then get her to an ER vet. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your cat's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

3. Just give the next insulin shot at the scheduled regular time.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I liked Dr. Scott's advice. I was disappointed in the web site. It took me to a monthly contract advertisement and I lost track with the Veterinarian. It was a pain to get back to him. Come on, really?! Totally unnecessary by "justananswer". At 10pm, I'm looking for an answer not a new sales pitch.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, *****

No problem, glad to be advising you ...

Please let me know how things go.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sam is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his diabetes regime ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.