Lyndsey Kingsley
Lyndsey Kingsley,
Experience:  Veterinarian at My Pet's MVP Austin
95804933

She is 17, an indoor girl and obviously starting to age and

Customer Question

She is 17, an indoor girl and obviously starting to age and have problems. She has always been a fussy eater but recently has become more so. She has always vomited if given dry food. She has fresh fish, mince and generally Purina canned.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry, Gypsii is a Birman. I have never fed her milk until recently and now she has cat milk. She is losing weight and has become constipated. Could the cat milk be causing the constipation?
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes. a 17 year old Birman cat.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Birman?
Customer: She had a convulsion two months ago and our vet didn't expect her to survive. Blood tests showed a small amount of kidney damage and slightly elevated potassium level
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Lyndsey Kingsley replied 3 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** Has she not been eating at all recently? And are you seeing her straining in the litter box?

We can see some GI upset with dairy based proteins, but constipation is not typically one. She may be dehydrated and unable to pass dried fecal material. It is not an uncommon occurrence in older cats

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is eating but only small (teaspoon) serves a few times a day.She has been licking her anus and I have just removed a string of fecal matter which she couldn't move. It is very dry.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If she isn't inclined to drink, how do I rehydrate her?

Once a cat is this dehydrated, they will need fluid therapy to get them rehydrated and an enema to pass the dry fecal material. In my hospital, we would place an IV line for at least 24 hours to get her rehydrated. Subcutaneous fluids are another option, but will still need to be initially administered and prescribed by a licensed veterinarian. Many cats with chronic kidney disease will benefit from subcutaneous fluid therapy as well, so it would be a good idea to learn now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We are unimpressed by our local veterinarian, I believe she would not survive any more of his treatment. Her kidney situation isn't chronic. Is there any way I can help her?

I am sorry to hear this. Most kidney conditions in cats are caught on routine bloodwork and will go on for years. You can try enticing her to drink by adding tuna juice from a can or zero sodium chicken broth to her regular water, or gently syringing the liquid into her mouth. I do not recommend attempting an enema at home; if there is disease present in the colon, perforation is possible. Are there any other veterinarians in your area that may be able to see her?

Also, getting her moving and keeping her warm can help move things along. Be careful with abdominal massage because again, perforation is possible

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The next closest is 2 hours away and she stresses when travelling so not a good option. Can the addition of fish or cod liver oil help?

Cod liver oil is not a bad option at all; it may not be a game-changer but it can help. I would only give about 6 ml at a time as it may cause her to vomit. Again, keeping her warm is crucial, and humidity is beneficial as well. A steamy hot bathroom is a good option if it doesn't stress her out

I hope this response helped

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.

You're welcome, all the best

Hi Frances,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lyndsey Kingsley
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Lyndsey, Thank you for following up. I have given Gyp. salmon oil and a bit of the salmon with steamed mashed pumpkin added. She seemed to like this and ate probably a tablespoon full over a 12 hour period. I have also used a syringe to give her extra fluids. This morning she passed a dryish but softer than recent stool. I have a question, if she is dehydrated will she have more trouble with fur balls due to lack of moisture to help them come up?