Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Male 15 y/o cat has urinated normal amount within last 6 hrs

Customer Question

Male 15 y/o cat has urinated normal amount within last 6 hrs but is going in and out of litter box. Has experienced constipation in past once which lasted a short duration . Should I take him to emergency vet?
Unsure of last BM
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Cheeto. I love that name! That is good that he's urinated a normal amount of urine within the last 6 hours. When a cat is going in and out of the litter box, I get suspicious for either urinary or gastrointestinal (colon) issues. The most emergent situation would be if he was going in and out trying to urinate and not being able to - a urethral blockage. With him having urinated a good amount in the last 6 hours, it would seem not as likely (yet) to be blocked, but he could be a very early blockage. Could he have the early beginnings of a urinary tract infection that is causing irritation and the increased need to go? If he does, these can cause debris that can lead to a blockage somewhere down the road. Could it be a constipation / fecal issue? These are all considerations. If an ER clinic is easily accessible, I would get him looked at to make sure it isn't the blockage situation. If it is one of the other two, then they can start therapy to help him feel better sooner.