Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

We took our cat to the vet today for physical exam and

Customer Question

We took our cat to the vet today for physical exam and vaccinations. Now that she is home she is throwing up clear pinkish vomit. What does this mean?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No she didn't eat at the vet and hasn't eaten since we've been home. She is acting normally
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Akashi and she is 16 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Akashi?
Customer: She's been healthy. She's had a tooth extracted 4 years ago but other than that she is fine
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

It appears that your pet may be having a vaccine reaction. Other possible causes are a stomach ulcer, esophagitis, or other internal disease processes.

Does she get this vaccine every year? Or has it been some time since her last vet visit?

Is is also possible she could have gotten car sick?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr H, Yes it was 4 years since her last vaccination. She's always had a sensitive stomach but we've never since light pink vomit before.

Pink means that there likely is some blood mixed in with the vomitus.

Vaccine reactions are rare in cats, but they can happen. And they don't always react the first time the vaccine is given. I had a patient that received a vaccine a total of 5 times before-hand with no problem, but all of a sudden reacted.

So you say she is normal otherwise. Can you quickly look at her gums and tell me if they are a nice pink color or pale?

Also she isn't having any breathing problems is she?

- Dr. H

Hello are you still in need of assistance with your pet?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
her gums are medium pink and she is breathing fine. But she is definitely stressed and hiding under the bed

Ok good. We want pink gums. A vaccine reaction is highly likely. The treatment for vaccine reactions is typically antihistamine in mild cases, and a steroid injection with possible hospitalization in severe cases.

It sounds like her vitals are stable, indicating a mild reaction for now, so we can try some antihistamines with her to see if this helps.

You can give her Children's Benadryl at 1mg/kg. 1 kg= 2.2lbs. Give this every 12 hrs for the next 3 days. This will hopefully be enough to combat the reaction. However if she continues to vomit after 12 hrs or develops other symptoms, such as pale gums, heavy panting, severe lethargy, then her reaction has become advanced and she should be seen by a vet asap. Hopefully Akashi does not get to that point. She will either get worse or better within the next 24 hrs though.

Also I would recommend giving her an antacid 1 hr before or after her Benadryl to help with her vomiting and it should help with the mild blood seen as well. The dosage for Famotidine (pepcid ac) is 0.5 mg/kg every 12 hrs. Again use the conversion of 1kg=2.2lb to come up with her dosage. Let me know if you need any help with this.

- Dr. H

Just checking in. Are you still in need of further advice concerning Akashi that I can help you with?

* Before you leave, please don't forget to leave me a rating for the service I have provided today. Thank you so much! *

- Dr. H