Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My 13 yr old female cat (Izzy) was diagnosed with chest

Customer Question

My 13 yr old female cat (Izzy) was diagnosed with chest congestion. The vet gave her a cortisone shot last week and I changed her kitty litter to Dr Espy's litter for seniors and allergy's. It's been a week and she is still lethargic and spits up mucous a couple times a day. Her nose is cool and damp. Her presenting symptoms were coughing and occassional gasping. She has lost a little weight during this time. Should I take her back to the vet. Money is tight at my house. Thank you, *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Gayla and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with your question about Izzy. I just wanted to let you know that I'm reviewing your question now and will answer, shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again, and thanks for waiting.

If no chest x-rays were taken, Izzy may have bronchitis, asthma or pneumonia. The cortisone shot will help reduce inflammation, but if she has a viral or bacterial infection, she will need antibiotics, as well. Here is more information:

For the moment you can run a humidifier in the rooms where she spends the most time and I'm glad you changed litter to a more appropriate one for allergies and senior cats.

I do believe it would be beneficial for her to be evaluated by the vet, again, and if it hasn't yet been done, imaging will show more. If money is tight, you can take her to a VCA Animal Hospital, where they offer a downloadable coupon for a first visit for new patients. Of course, you would have to pay for medications or any testing/imaging, but at least the exam will not cost you anything. VCA is nationwide, so I hope there's one near you. Here is the link for the coupon:

You can also apply for Care Credit, which is accepted at most vet offices:

I hope all will be well with Izzy and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition by the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.
Hi Gayla Locke,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?