Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My son discovered a hole in our cat's side,. Does not look

Customer Question

My son discovered a hole in our cat's side,. Does not look like an injury. Totally clean, no drainage of any kind. Any ideas on what it could be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

How long has it been present?

Is it through the skin?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We just saw it last night. It is through the skin as you can see. I posted it on facebook Mary Jane Bolte
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I can't find it, I am not good with computers.There was no inflammation or bleeding.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is now showing. The redness you can see is more like the look of a mucous membrane.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

My apologies that I didn't see your reply before I had to be away for the evening. I have tried to check the FB photo you mentioned but can only find one user by this name (a nurse) and the photo isn't listed as public. So, if that is your account, you will need to change the photo settings to public for me to assess.

In the meantime, if this is through the skin, then it is traumatic. There are no natural holes through the skin on the feline flank. So, while it may not look like a jagged tear, our main concerns would be a possible puncture wound (other cats and dogs being the most common causes). If fresh, these tend to appear quite clean (especially since often cats will lick these) and drainage wouldn't be seen until a few days later when infection set in.

Now how to approach this depends on the size of the wound and whether its gaping. If it is large and the edges aren't aligned, then we'd want him seen for stitches or staples. This will align the edges and aid quick healing. At the same time, your vet can start antibiotics to prevent infection and cat safe pain relief (since OTC human options are cat toxic).

Any delay in having him seen or if this is quite small, you will want to bathe the area using a mild antiseptic (ie betadine, chlorohexidine, salt water) 2-3 times daily. As it is open, we may need to flush inside the wound as well. OTC antibiotic cream can be used (avoid any with numbing agents as they aren't cat friendly) as well. Of course, we don't want your kitty licking the area, so an e-collar or baby tshirt may be needed to block his access. Of course, any odor or pus and we'd again need oral/systemic antibiotics from his vet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have been cleaning it 3 times a day. It appears to be closing up little by little.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Good, I am glad to hear that it is starting to heal and hopefully will continue to do so.

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )