Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

I have a mocha Ragdoll kitten called Mojo. He is an indoor

Customer Question

I have a mocha Ragdoll kitten called Mojo. He is an indoor cat and it is just me an him. His litter tray, bed, some toys, food bowl and water bowl are kept in the laundry and for the first 7 months he also was to put at 9.15 every night and I would let him out every morning and feed him breakfast.
He has a tunnel, an 170cm 4 tier Play Centre, scratching post and balls and plastic tea spoons and hair lackies scattered around the lounges and kitchen and my room. He has a little enclosed house thingee and this favourite teddy of his that he always has when he is sleeping. In the last month or so I have had his house thingee and Teddy tucked in near a chair and my walk in closet so he feels safe and he now sleeps in there or curled up with me in bed or at my feet. I leave my door ajar and the laundry door is always open so he can wander.
But lately after he has eaten his food he has been coming into the kitchen/dining room and pawing at the tiles. Like he would do in his litter box. He has never had any accidents and I have had him since 1 month old. Is there something wrong or something he needs or wants?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I t sounds like Mojo has a pretty enriched environment. If he is not urinating or defecating out of the litter box, then I attribute that behavior as an introduction into the room. Cats will paw or scratch when they enter a room. If the behavior is worrisome, then you can put a scratching post at the entry to the room with a sprinkle of cat nip so that he can scratch on the post

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have never seen him do it before and I hated to think there was something he needed or wanted that I wasn't doing or giving him. Mojo saved my life after I lost my fiance so we are really close and he knows his mummy loves him. That is the second time I have ever seen him do it. It was like he has trying to cover something over and then he just wandered away. Its not bad if he barely meows is it? Does that mean he is happy? It has been very cold in Perth this Winter and before I would put him too bed I would turn on a little fan heater for 15 minutes. I would switch it off when I took him to bed. The outside laundry door is always a tine way ajar just for air as his litter tray is right there. Would it be too cold to have him there for the night? This is why I have put his little house and things in my room and he cries when he cant see me or hear me and I wanted the company. Would he be happier now I have done this? Do cats feel the cold? Can I make it too hot for him? He always can get to his water bowl and his biscuit bowl.

I am so sorry about your fiancé. Mojo must be a great comfort to you. I would definitely let him be in the main house with you at night as long as he is not having any issues with not using the letterbox. Many cats are not vocal. I have seven cats and only 3 ever really talk. It just depends on their personality. Cats are pretty hardy about colder temperatures because of their fur. And yes, you can make it too hot for him. If the temperature feels comfortable to you, then it should be fine for him.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that means a lot. And thank you for helping me. I know where I will be coming for anymore concerns I may get as he grows.

You are very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill