Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My cat Blue has a big open wound on his neck & It appears to

Customer Question

Hi there, My cat Blue has a big open wound on his neck & It appears to be getting bigger. It looks raw and red, but not bleeding. It's about the size of a nickel and seems to be spreading. It was crusted over & above it, it wasn't crusted over before. Been putting hydragon peroxide on the wound. There's no pus on or around the wound
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is Blue bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, he's nothe bleeding at all and no foul odor on him
JA: Phew. How old is Blue?
Customer: He's 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blue?
Customer: We put Advantage for fleas and I've been giving him some of his pain medicine. He does have a loss of appetite & doesn't appear to be swollen
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

3- Is he able to lick or scratch the area?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We noticed it about four days ago but it was crusted over so we thought he had fleas and put flea medicine on him but not in the wound,,two days later we checked it and that's when we noticed it had turned into an open wound. There was no odor, no bleeding, no pus,, etc so it must have already burst. We then put some proxide on it. as far as I could find out from the internet it appears to be an abscess according to the symptoms and pictures we saw. We have a screened porch that he uses . He has not licked or scratched the area that I know of. It appears to have gotten bigger within a few days AFTER we discovered it. He's never had anything like this before. He didn't show any signs of scratching I just happen to be petting him and found the scabs. I just examined him and the wound appears to be getting better and smaller,it doesn't look as raw or red. He does have other small scabs around his neck and above the main wound but I haven't noticed anymore of them open. Do you think those other small scabs will turn into open wounds like this one? The only sign he has shown is lethargy and he isn't eating as much as usual. I have another cat should we keep them separated just in case it's contagious? Should the two cats be feed separately. I'm trying to send a picture.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, what you are describing certainly it can be an abscess or simply a wound. Less likely, sometimes there could be an underlying tumor in the skin that the cells have become necrotic (dying off). This is not contagious. I am going to make some recommendation if no significant improvement in 2-3 days I would have him checked by your family veterinarian. This is what you can try:

1- Do not let him lick the wound or the medication. If he does pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area. Keep him indoors when he has the cone on, he should not go outside with the cone on.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter