Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My little cat Minnie has not done well with our move to

Customer Question

My little cat Minnie has not done well with our move to Lamar and acquisition of the new puppy. She is anti-social. She doesn't want to go outside and is terrified beyond measure of a calico cat that frequents our yard. She has lost all of the weight she gained since she came to us and has reverted to being sickly skeleton. She just sits in the window sill all day. At our last house, she went outside and caught rats, mice, birds and rabbits. Any suggestions? Tonight I gave her salmon. She doesn't really care for cream. Should I go back to giving her goat's milk? Do cats get depression? What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Just since we moved in late May
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?
Customer: weight loss is significant
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. How old is Minnie? Is she current on her vaccines and deworming?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Minnie is current on vaccinations and is four years old
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Haven't seen worms in stool

Okay. that is important because in an older cat, I would have been more concerned with diseases, such as hyperthyroidism, renal disease, etc.

Many times you will not see worms in the stool unless it is an extremely large volume of worms. Has she been eating her normal amount of food? How long have you had the puppy? How long ago did you move?

Also, forgot to mention that cats that hunt will get parasites from their prey and need to be dewormed at least every 4-6 months

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Haven't dewormed Minnie. Moved in late May. Got Leala, the min-pin puppy in June
Don't know how much cat is eating. We feed them on a desk in the mud room so our dogs don't eat their food.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Minnie refuses to sit in my lap, which she did before the move. She's grouchy with a capital B now

So, I would try to feed Minnie separately to get an idea of her intake. If the weight loss is dramatic then she should be seen by a local veterinarian as soon as possible. an over the counter dewormer will not cover a broad spectrum of parasites, so I recommend Profender.

She may be grouchy about the new puppy or because she is not feeling well. Best to get her checked to be safe.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, will do.

Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. Have a nice night. Take care

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill