Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat, 8 years old, loves her food and snacks, but for 5

Customer Question

My cat, 8 years old, loves her food and snacks, but for 5 days now, she drinks water but eats nothing. She has licked some tuna juice but not much else. I believe it is because I feed her some Dry food, Meow Mix, that had bugs in it. I Bought fresh cat food from Walmart. I Didn't realize it had the bugs until about the third day. I opened the bad and a bunch of bugs flew out, like small moths and the food was slightly slimy. I threw it away and fed her wet food that she normally gets for breakfast. She normally runs around and plays, but now she has no energy. She has always sit on my lap and will not do that. I thought she would shake it off but now I am scared she won't.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that she had blood work?
2) Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has never had blood work, she has always been healthy. No Vomiting or diarrhea. Just no energy, lays on the cool floor all day.

One of my main concerns here is not necessarily for what started the issue with Stankie, but the fact that cats are prone to liver failure through hepatic lipidosis as early as 3 days following their withdrawal from food. This can happen as they reduce their food or stop eating altogether. At 8, there are quite a few underlying conditions that we would worry about may have set this off including pancreatitis, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, liver disease, etc. It's also possible that feeding her tainted food would make her sick as well. Because she is not otherwise having symptoms, I would err on the side of caution here and take her to your vet to determine not only if there is an underlying condition that needs to be treated here but also if her not eating for 5+ days has sent her into liver failure. In any case, if she's not eating well she needs medical intervention through blood work, injectable medications resolve nausea/increase appetite, etc.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd like to know what help you think you gave me. I saw all this for free. No, I am NOT satisfied...

Unfortunately, Martin, there's not much that can be for a cat at home that is showing symptoms of feeling unwell that is at risk of organ failure. Sometimes free information is correct. I'll be happy to ask customer service to refund your deposit, but I would recommend that you take Stankie to a vet where they can help her. Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd give you one star but it won't let me. What a bunch of RIP-OFF artists...