Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

This question is directly for Dr. Salkin- Our cat, Leo, has

Customer Question

This question is directly for Dr.Michael Salkin-Our cat, Leo, has started missing jumps. Not every jump, but definitely enough for us to notice (at least 1/3 of the time). It's as though he's having depth perception issues? I'm not sure. We just moved so we're going to have a new vet look at him. Any thoughts as to the most likely causes or a specific test to get? In the past, you've always been spot-on with diagnosing them and help speed things up with our vets.He's very healthy - light as a feather (but not underweight), he's very tall, and his hind legs are taller than his front, so he may have a bit of some other breed in him. He use to be quite the gymnast - he'd jump on top of an open door and balance on the top of it. He definitely couldn't do that right now with this problem. He's only 4, so we're a little concerned as to where this is coming from. It's been going on few months now. Other than the jumps, he's acting completely normal. Litterbox is normal, healthy appetite, playful, etc.Thank you!
MeganP.S. Sprinkles' allergies were indeed environmental. We lived there 2 years and it just started out of nowhere, but you were right! Once we moved, it quickly subsided!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Sorry for the delay, Megan. I was hiking in the middle of nowhere once again. When such a young cat "misses jumps" I check their hips for hip dysplasia first (sedate, palpate, X-rays) and if they look good I wonder about vision. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hope you had a good hike and aren't working in the mountains!Are there any possible causes that aren't serious? It seems like all the main causes are all pretty scary. No need to go into detail about all the possibilities, just wanted to know if there's hope for this to not be something serious.

No, I was just trying to stay alive. I found myself in 85F+ heat needing to ascend 925' up steep and long switchbacks. I did it, though, all 6 miles of it.

If Leo is otherwise well and it certainly sounds as if he is, I can't imagine that his behavior indicates something we can't treat conservatively. I'm betting on osteoarthritis in his hips/caudal spinal column. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Leo. How is everything going?