petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Worked my cat is injured from a fall

Customer Question

Worked my cat is injured from a fall
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Worried my cat was injured in a fall: my phone number is(###) ###-####Please call me and my email is***@******.***
Please respond as soon as possible!!
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

If your cat was involved in a fall and you are worried that it may be injured, you should really seek emergency veterinary services to have your cat evaluated by a veterinarian in person. This is not the correct forum to determine if your cat is injured and what is really needed is a hands-on physical exam. In the meantime, try to limit movement and keep your cat as calm as possible until an exam can be performed.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My cat can move around well and was able to jump on bed--but she is in hiding modality presently, very traumatized.. My main concerns are broken ribs (but I don't think so because movement not hindered and no expression of pain). or possible concussion. The problem is she wil not let me get near her right now. I got her as a kitten from a feral mom with 2 other kittens (she is 2 yrs old now) The other kittens have less feralness now but she seemed to have retained some. So she was a very skittish cat to begin with that didn't like being held (even by me) would come to me on her own terms and now I can't capture her to get her to vet without really creating a scenario where I have to corner her and I don't want to traumatize her even more by doing that. The fall was about 10 feet. What happened was we have a tall cabinet in our bathroom but the stupid carpenter who installed it didn't seal the top so there are shafts to go to the floor where the the cabinet boxes don't meet the wall and cat (she is fantastic jumper by the way) decided to jump and explore the top of this cabinet but somehow had a mishap and didn't land in the cabinet either lost her grip from the edge upon landing and fell down the shaft area or got nosy (as the room was dark and this happened at 4am) and fell. I don't know how why she fell or how she landed all i know is that when she realized she was stuck she started freaking out crying and tried to jump out. I had to remove the toe kick at the bottom and another short panel that meets the floor to luckily get her out through the hollow below the lowest drawer. So now she is very scared hiding under bed in loose material that covers the underside of box spring (its typically her favorite hiding space like a secret cat hammock) As I said my primary concerns are capturing her without causing more injury or trauma. And she will probably not allow herself to be examined, that process will be difficult for her too. What do you do in a case like this?? Please help.
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I can understand your concern about not wanting to cause her further trauma as it sounds like she has been through a lot already today. If she was able to jumo after the fall, that is certainly a good sign, but that doesn't guarantee there is no trauma. The biggest risk after a fall from that height, would be be fractures of long bones (which are usually obvious), diaphragmatic tears and/or herniation of abdominal organs into the chest and/or fracture of the hard palate. These can be difficult if not impossible for an owner to determine.

If you can ascertain that her breathing is normal (less than 30 breaths/min) and not labored, after she settles down, that would be one thing to monitor. I would also put a litter box and her food and water bowls in that room, with the door shut so you can check periodically to see if she is coming out to eat, drink and eliminate. If she is, that is certainly a good sign. Even if she is not injured, she may continue to hide for a bit simply due to the trauma, but if it continues too long and she is not eating or drinking, you may need be a little more forceful to get to her and get her to the vet. The vet will be able to give her something to calm her when you get there, so the exam shouldn't be too hard on her.

Good luck with her and please keep me posted as to how things are progressing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still awaiting a response please
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Already responded about 1/2 hour ago. I will repost here again:

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is much much better today I would say doing very well, out with the other cats eating as far as I can tell. Last night she actually slept nuzzled beside me for a portion of the night the way she normally does. Her limbs all seem fine. When she was quietly next to me so i was able to gently feel all her limbs and her back and her chest all sound, no labored breathing. Its very possible because the area she fell through was so confined she was able to break her fall by reaching even clawing into the walls on the way down. She really seems ok but I will be very careful to continue monitoring her. I don't know how they would even examine her (she hasn't been to vet since she was neutered) without a shot of some sort to calm her as she is terrified by strangers and unfamiliar situations. Falling into a space she couldn't get out of really freaked her out. Luckily I was home at the time and acted promptly--I'm examining house for all possible places like this she go 'exploring'
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

I am glad to hear things are better for her. Yes, cats are definitely a curious species and that often gets them into trouble. Mine fell through the ceiling tiles on one of her explorations.

Thank you for the progress report.