petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I rescued him 3 weeks ago and just noticed he has worms

Customer Question

I rescued him 3 weeks ago and just noticed he has worms coming from his behind!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pondo. I also have other cats!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pondo?
Customer: He pprox 2-3yrs old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Pondo today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Are the worms short and white like a piece of rice? Are they moving?

Or are they long and thin like a piece of spaghetti?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They're short and white. Yes they were still moving and so many of them. Out of the blue they came.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

If these worms are passing out of the rectum. The most probable cause would be a tapeworm infection. The adult tapeworm stays in the intestine, but passes segments with eggs sacs in them (these segments can move). Cats have two ways primarily to become infected with tapeworms, one is by ingesting fleas, and the other by ingesting mice. Here is a link with a great deal more information about the tapeworm life cycle. tapeworms

There is no effective home remedy to rid them of the adult worm, but there is an over the counter medicine that can be used and is found at pet stores. Make sure the product contains the ingredient called praziquantel as stated in the link provided above.

Your other cats should not be at risk of becoming infected from him. They cannot pass the tapeworms to one another without it going through the secondary host (the mouse or flea), but it will not hurt them to treat them, even if they are not affected.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?