Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

Our cat is due any time to have her kitens, we have notice

Customer Question

Our cat is due any time to have her kitens, we have notice blood around her rear end, she is not making any noise, but she is very quiet. Her name is ***** ***** she is 18 months old, but she is a samll cat for her age. Is it normal for her to bleed.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

This is normal for her ...this may be part of the cervix opening to allow the kittens to pass through. Cats rarely have trouble, even when they are small, having their kittens but since this is probably Butterscotch's first litter, it may not follow the normal routine. Continue to watch her leaving her alone and in can peak around the corner to check on her but quite will be very helpful. The one thing you need to watch for is Butterscotch pushing all the time for more than an hour with nothing coming out...that means that she is in trouble and probably will require veterinary attention. In most cases such as Butterscotch, she will have contractions and then they will leave and she will be peaceful, then later more contractions until her system is ready. Patience is the key to delivery for Butterscotch so stand by and wait for these beautiful kittens to arrive.