Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Very swollen tongue. I am vet tech and have been giving

Customer Question

Hi, very swollen tongue. I am vet tech and have been giving prednisone and amoxicillan (first gave oxytetracycline since that was all I had) I feed her mashed wet food with dropper. Long strands of mucas were coming out when she was trying to eat and I trimmed her nails because I noticed she got a nail stuck in her mouth when batting at it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: cheyanne
JA: How old is cheyanne?
Customer: I do cat rescue and have 30? cats. Don't know exactly, but guessing she is 8 yrs?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about cheyanne?
Customer: she lost weight and was wet (now know it was mucus) before I really noticed she had a problem. bathed her, and started treating her as I said above, she seems better, can't see any injury, just very swollen and was wondering how long for healing?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry Cheyanne is having trouble with her tongue.

You say its possible she pierced it with her claws.

Even though you cannot see an actual wound I want you to swab her tongue with honey.

. It is a remarkable healing agent:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

As the swelling goes down which will be quickly offer her baby food with no onion or garlic or pate canned cat food.

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri