Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Cat has dx of chronic renal failure and has had 2 days of

Customer Question

cat has dx of chronic renal failure and has had 2 days of loose gray stools..still eating alittle and drinking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Malone..he is 14+ yrs old....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Malone..he?
Customer: It is a new symptom...fed him his favorite treat and gave him too much....Could this be the reason?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear about Malone's health problems, hopefully the loose stools is due to something very minor, however I have worked out a fuller reply for you below.

1. Loose gray stools such as you describe are not usually associated with kidney disease in the cat, it could be he has eaten something he should not have or it could be the treat or other rich food or perhaps he has somehow picked up a tummy bug of some kind.

2. Where cats have other ongoing disease situations as in Malone's case I often suggest a common sense measure first. For example live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into Malone's intestinal tract and hopefully restore the balance. A teaspoon twice a day should be fin efor an adult cat.

3. But of course is these symptoms continue or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his loose stools ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.