Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My vet changed the dosage of Felimazole my cat is getting

Customer Question

My vet changed the dosage of Felimazole my cat is getting today. I mistakenly told her that the cat was getting 1 cc a day and she increased it to 1 & 1/2 cc 's twice a day. But I was thinking of the wrong medicine. Actually the cat is now getting Felimzole in pill form, 2.5 mg once a day. The vet's office was closed by the time i realized my mistake and she won't be open until Tues. Can you please tell me what the dosage increase would be?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry you had a mixup in your medication. What is the medication she gets as a liquid?

It sounds like your vet wanted to increase the Felimazole by 50%, by going from 1 cc to 1.5. If you are giving the pills, to increase by 50% would be to give 1 pill in the morning, and another 1/2 at night. I would do it in the two doses, rather than give 1 and 1/2 at one time.

It would be safe to wait to check with your vet on Monday and not change the does until then, but it should also be safe to give the extra 1/2 pill as an evening dose until you talk to her.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello.
She upped it to 1 & 1/2 twice a day, from 1 once a day.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Yes, I saw that. So I would either not change anything, and wait to talk to her, or else increase the pills from 1 daily to 1 morning and half at night.

It sounds like she wanted to increase the dose by 50%, so that would mean going to 1 and 1/2 pills a day. I would split that up, not give it all at once.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you saw my response.

Please let me know if I can answer any more of your questions. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?