Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat went to the vet on Mon. for a check-up on her sub.

Customer Question

my cat went to the vet on Mon. for a check-up on her sub. ureteral bypass device she had placed last year. They were supposed to flush both the left and right sides of the device, do bloodwork, and take a urine sample. Unfortunately, they were only able to do the right side of the device and obtain a urine sample because the sedation didn't make her sleepy and she was too wiggly. They also said that they weren't sure if the left side was flowing well because she was either too wiggly or something with the device. So I had to make another appointment for this coming Wed. However, when I brought her back from the vet on Mon. she was barely eating anything for three days after (tues-thurs). Immediately after the vet on Mon. she ate like a pig but not in the 3 days to follow. She was also very lethargic and really not acting like her normal self. I made the decision Thurs. evening to bring her back to the vet to be examined. She had to stay over night and get sedated twice more. First time she didn't respond to it, it just made her more anxious and awake. So overall the vet said everything checked out fine. It took a while to flush the left side of the device but did eventually so it's working. Her kidney values have actually improved since three months ago. However, I brought Sparkle home last night where she was very sleepy, which I suppose is to be expected after 2 rounds of sedation. But she is just not eating the same as she did prior to her vet appt. on Mon. She won't touch the food I used to feed her (kidney diet). Only eats treats. This morning I went out and tried some different types of cat foods and she did eat some of two kinds but again not much. Perhaps I just need to give it more time? Also, I have noticed that after eating she kind of moves her mouth weird. Like as if she is almost semi-choking or it hasn't gone down the right way. I also hear little gulps from her afterwards as well. Is this normal? Lastly, since bringing her home lastnight she hasn't stopped purring and I might just be being paranoid but she is not normally a cat that purrs too much but literally she was purring in her sleep and purring as she was eating the little bits.So my questions are: 1. What are your thoughts about her not eating much since Monday? Vet says everything checks out fine but I don't know.
2. Is the purring all of the time to be expected?
3. Is the gulping noises something to be worried about? It is not all of the time but I've been hearing it occassionally.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my cat went to the vet on Mon. for a check-up on her sub. ureteral bypass device she had placed last year. They were supposed to flush both the left and right sides of the device, do bloodwork, and take a urine sample. Unfortunately, they were only able to do the right side of the device andobtain a urine sample because the sedation didn't make her sleepy and she was too wiggly. They also said that they weren't sure if the left side was flowing well because she was either too wiggly or something with the device. So I had to make another appointment for this coming Wed. However, when I brought her back from the vet on Mon. she was barely eating anything for three days after (tues-thurs). Immediately after the vet on Mon. she ate like a pig but not in the 3 days to follow. She was also very lethargic and really not acting like her normal self. I made the decision Thurs. evening to bring her back to the vet to be examined. She had to stay over night and get sedated twice more. First time she didn't respond to it, it just made her more anxious and awake. So overall the vet said everything checked out fine. It took a while to flush the left side of the device but did eventually so it's working. Her kidney values have actually improved since three months ago. However, I brought Sparkle home last night where she was very sleepy, which I suppose is to be expected after 2 rounds of sedation. But she is just not eating the same as she did prior to her vet appt. on Mon. She won't touch the food I used to feed her (kidney diet). Only eats treats. This morning I went out and tried some different types of cat foods and she did eat some of two kinds but again not much. Perhaps I just need to give it more time? Also, I have noticed that after eating she kind of moves her mouth weird. Like as if she is almost semi-choking or it hasn't gone down the right way. I also hear little gulps from her afterwards as well. Is this normal? Lastly, since bringing her home lastnight she hasn't stopped purring and I might just be being paranoid but she is not normally a cat that purrs too much but literally she was purring in her sleep and purring as she was eating the little bits.So my questions are: 1. What are your thoughts about her not eating much since Monday? Vet says everything checks out fine but I don't know.
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to see if you still needed help regarding your kitty. How is she doing today? I am happy to answer your questions if she is still not improving.