Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have 2 beautiful, -haired Persian cats--one male/Smoke

Customer Question

I have 2 beautiful, long-haired Persian cats--one male/Smoke Black and 1 girl/Grey & White. The boy will be 2 next month and the girl is 1.5 yrs and I have had them both as kittens. They pretty much have been the best of friends since they met up until now. Both of them have a tendency to get very matted, but the boy was starting to develop large mats, so I took just him in for a grooming appt. yesterday. The groomer decided that the best course of action was to give him a lion cut which I was on-board with. The end result was that a cat who normally looks like a gigantic mass of fur, got reduced down to less than half of his size. I have to say that I was somewhat shocked at just how small my cat was underneath all of that fur! Although nothing could have prepared me for the reaction that my other cat would give. She basically does not recognize him and hisses at him every time he comes anywhere close to her as if he is a brand new kitty. I am deeply saddened by her reaction and that my boy kitty is getting rejected by his best friend. I just want things to go back to how they used to be and never thought a simple grooming would cause all of this. How long will it take my girl kitty to recognize that my boy kitty is the same kitty?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this isn't an uncommon situation. It won't be just his appearance that is confusing Raindrop, but also his smelling unfamiliar (in fact its smell that is usually a bigger issue). Usually they will realize who their once friend is once we give them a few days (and the male has time to groom himself and start to smell familiar again). Though to help speed her realization, you can take a few steps. To start, consider rubbing him with a towel/blanket that the cats have slept on. You can even rub her with this first and then use it on him to get him smelling more like home to her. As well, to help reduce the overall anxiety here, you can also start a feline de-stressing treatment. Often we will use a diffuser/spray product like Feliway/Comfort Zone. Otherwise, there are supplements (ie Kalmaid, Zylkene) or even treats (ie Compsure) that can be used to help get them interacting positively while we calm and help them be more rational with one another.

So, generally speaking, these reactions are common and often settle within a few days. But the above can help soothe her fears that he is a stranger and the re-scenting him like home can help her realize who he is and settle here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )