Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 12y/o indoor cat has lost her appetite. i have tried a

Customer Question

my 12y/o indoor cat has lost her appetite. i have tried a lot of different czt foods and she will still not eat. she has lost weight and still gets around well.
What to do? She has been to our vat at least once a year, since we adopted her as a stray.
she was judged by our vet to be about three when we got her. we have had her for about 10 years.
i am a retired nurse and am out of my league.
Bill
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

The decreased appetite and weight loss could be one of many things. Hopefully it's just some type of GI bug or virus and some symptomatic treatment will do the trick.

I would definitely want to rule out kidney disease and diabetes. These are two common conditions that we see in older cats with weight loss and GI signs. I would also want to try to rule out an abdominal mass that could be Lymphoma.

If the bloodwork and exam are normal, then I would treat with some sub-Q fluids, appetite stimulants (Mirtazapine) and supportive care.

If anything is abnormal, then you treat more specifically. The first step is the bloodwork and exam to see what's going on.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help more.