Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat is 7 years old, Persian, and is on prednisolone and

Customer Question

My cat is 7 years old, Persian, and is on prednisolone and flovent. His bronchitis continues to get worse, and was just put on 100 mg of theophylline capsules. I feel like he may not be responding well to it. He has had two doses (on day 2) and he still seems to be breathing fast. I'm scared he is not reacting well to the theophylline. He is definitely not himself.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Persian?
Customer: No...he tolerates the flovent well and the prednisolone, but I am concerned with capsules vs tablets and if there is any difference and how would I know he is having a reaction to the theophylline?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 months ago.

When I'm dealing with asthma cats, I don't typically use oral broncho-dilators. They can have systemic effects of agitation and rapid heart rate that I just don't like.

I typically use oral Prednisolone, inhaled Flovent and inhaled Albuterol. Albuterol is the broncho-dilator. I don't often have owners use it daily, but in an as needed basis. It may end up being 1-2 times daily, but if he's having a good day I wouldn't use it at all.

In some cats, I can get them off Prednisolone and just use all inhaled meds. Those don't have the systemic side effects, so I find them to be better tolerated. Some cats just don't stay controlled without an oral steroid, so I may have to use it.

For now, I would discuss stopping the oral Theophylline and switch to Albuterol inhalers.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.