Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have an Himalayan adult female that is about 1 1/2 years

Customer Question

I have an Himalayan adult female that is about 1 1/2 years old, I got her about 6 months ago. She fit in pretty good but was nasty to my male Persian. Therefore he had no interest in her, but when my Exotic short hair male got to his manly stage he breed her and right now it seems like she is in labor, breathing harder than normal, I found some blood on floor and traced back to her. Also she keeps wanting to take my little 6 week old baby and haul to behind anything, and hissing and growling at all of my other cats. I am wondering what is making or causing her to be this way? Also is she in labor and needs to go to the vet immediately? Please help as i just kind of got back into the breeding to Persian cats after 25 years out of it.
Thanks,Deb Skoglund
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi Deb. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bubbles. Do you physically see some blood around her vulva region? Has she been eating and drinking well? Is she looking like she's put on weight? Has she been urinating more frequently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did see blood around her butt area, now not a lot of blood just a few drops here and there. She seems to be eating ok and yes she did put a few pounds on and seems like her tits could have milk. As far as the litter box I couldn't tell ya as I have 5 females. She doesn't look like my poor mama that just had nine babies last November, poor thing but saved 8 of them.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had to put her in an octagon kennel to control her from picking on everyone
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My poor 6 week old will just scream when gets dragged around

She sounds like she's a bit aggravated at this time. Could the blood that you're seeing be due to her being pregnant? Could it be there because of an injury in that region? Could it be there due to a urinary tract infection / issue? These are the big areas of concern that come up with blood being found in that region. With her being that altered in her behavior, the best thing you could do is to have your vet check her over. They can evaluate her and determine which of the ones above are going on. If she is pregnant, could it be a complication going on with it? Her being that anti-social to the others could be due to her feeling under the weather or from discomfort. It is good that she's eating ok as if she wasn't, things would be up a step in concern.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is why i decided to see what someone like you would think about the situation so you think she is in so much pain that she is taking it out on other cats? The main problem i see is that she wants the kitten with her at all times. Do you think she could be in labor?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would tomorrow be soon enough in the morning I think they close at 2:00 over here or should i take her to pet hospital?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When i first let her out she is all lovey dovey to other cats and affectionate as can be to me, which she never was that affectionate
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My first thought was she was in labor?

I'm very sorry in my delay with getting back to you. I had an emergency pull me away. How is Bubbles doing at this time? Sometimes they can be in pain and it causes a personality change with them being more agitated / aggravated to the other housemates. With her taking to the kitten as much as she is, could it be maternal instinct kicking in from a pregnancy? I can't say that it happens a lot like that. Usually when a pregnancy is there and they are in labor, they are visibly pretty obvious as they are pregnant. If you don't see some pretty obvious abdominal enlargement, it would seem less likely that she's pregnant. Not to many queens have singleton or two or three kitten litters that allows them to hide a pregnancy easier. Not that it can't happen, but with most more slender cats, it is pretty obvious when they are pregnant at the time they are having labor. I again apologize for my delay and would like to hear how things are going with her.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Update to the situation - I don't or can't explain what was going on with Bubbles? As now it is like nothing ever happened and now she is in heat and letting my male breed her. Is it possible that she can't get pregnant? I have no clue to what could be going on, any advise?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I have a different female her name is Kira: She had a litter of nine babies back on November 27th, 2015. I wanted her to take a break after that many kittens. Now I think she has had enough time off and my male seams to be mating with her for the last couple of months, but she doesn't seem to be getting breed. Could there be some problems with her after have such a huge litter? Any suggestions on what could be going on?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Having a large litter of kittens shouldn't cause future breeding / getting pregnant issues. The uterus itself should have returned to normal. The ovaries and her cycling wouldn't have been affected by the large litter. She may not be getting pregnant as there are conformation issues now with the lower vaginal area, but this is not likely. The other big suspicion would be the male itself as far as his ability to sire a litter. Could he now be having sperm issues? With Bubbles, can she get pregnant? She may not be the most fertile female and have settling / pregnancy issues. Could she just not have good follicle development and release of eggs? Could she just not have good matings? Could she just not get pregnant? The best thing you could do to help her get pregnant is to have her checked over by your vet to determine if there are physical issues at hand. The other thing is to consider a semen evaluation on the male to see if his sperm is looking good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok - My male has mated one other female since all of this has been happening. He is 4 years old now but he should still be a good stud shouldn't he?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

If the male has mated another female in amongst all this and it was successful, then that makes it less likely that he's the problem here. Not that it totally rules him out, but way, way less likely him being the issue.