Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

I have a 7 lb female cat who has a sinus infection. Is it

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 7 lb female cat who has a sinus infection. Is it safe to give her human cipro and at what dosage?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. How old is cipro?
Customer: The cipro is less than a month old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about cipro?
Customer: The cat's name is ***** ***** I wanted to know if it was safe to give her ciprofloxacin for her infection.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Ciprofloxacin is safe for cats but it's not a good choice for them particularly when addressing the hard-to-get-good-blood-levels-of-an-antibiotic-into sinuses. Oral bioavailability of this antibiotic can be very low in cats. One study revealed a bioavailability average of only about 33% in cats. Because of this and the availability of other approved fluoroquinolone drugs for oral administration, ciprofloxacin is best reserved for use when an intravenous fluoroquinolone is indicated. That said, if ciprofloxacin must be given orally, extra-label recommendations are 10 - 12.5 mg/lb daily or the dose can be divided into two equal doses given at 12 hour intervals. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.