Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat started having diarrhea the night before and some

Customer Question

My cat started having diarrhea the night before and some yesterday. He has been drinking water but has not really eaten anything as of yesterday. He is usually very active and playful but doesn't want to play, he is mostly just laying down and sleeping.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to mention that my cat is 16yrs old (human years)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he strictly indoors?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he is strictly an indoor cat and as far as I know he did not get into anything
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he has some arthritis in his front and back paws. He was drinking water when I left this morning and he was letting me rub his tummy last night.

Please give me a few more minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not a problem, thank you

Friend, I am sorry your cat is not feeling well. In response to your question, diarrhea and lethargy can be caused by either a problem affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. In an older kitty we need to be concern about systemic diseases like kidney or liver disorders, hormonal disorder, tumors, infections, etc. less likely we also need to consider ingestion of foreign body, parasites, etc. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to determine the exact underlying cause. He will need a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian, blood work and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, offer him a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible blend the food and force feed with a dropper.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you but you basically told me what I have found on google. I'm not satisfied with this response because it feels to general and broad no very specific to my issue.