Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 5 week old kitten has very swollen leg joints just on his

Customer Question

my 5 week old kitten has very swollen leg joints just on his left side. he cannot put weight on them. they are not hot, so not broken. but the front leg has swollen over the last 2 hours. i can manipulate them with no problem and no real complaint from him. have been doing warm compresses.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: the only thing i find is that his siblings have kinda sucked his paddies raw
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: mellow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about mellow?
Customer: no. other wise they are all happy n healthy and well fed
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If the joints are swollen, my primary concern would be that he develops infected joints. Typically the joints are warm to the touch and painful, but that may not always be the case. If the entire limb is swollen, it could be a cellulitis (infection under the skin) or an allergic reaction (maybe an insect sting). With the other kittens sucking his paw pads raw, though, I would not be surprised if an infection extended up into the leg. Besides trauma, an immune mediated issue and an infected joint; not much else will cause joint swelling. If multiple joints are affected, it probably isn't trauma. I would highly recommend getting him seen by your vet today, especially since this has seemed to come on quickly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is there something i can give to reduce the swelling
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Well, not if it is an immune mediated or infectious cause. You can try placing a warm compress around the leg for a short period of time to see if you can get the swelling down. Let me know if you have further concerns.