Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has a scab or something on his back, can you please

Customer Question

my cat has a scab or something on his back, can you please tell me what it is?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

A scab can be from many things. How long has it been there? How big is it? Does it bother him?

It can be from a wound, and will fall off once the wound is healed. A scab can be from him scratching at himself, because he is itchy or allergic to something.

A scab can be caused by skin parasites, skin infection, or it could be covering a growth or tumor (but this would be unlikely and rare in a cat his age). Does he go outside; could he have been injured or in a fight with another cat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I attached a photo of thde scab, please see it and et vack to me
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the picture; that does help!

This could be a skin infection, an allergic reaction to a bug bite, or it could be a small patch of "ringworm", which is not a worm but a fungal skin infection. Has he been around any young cats or kittens recently?

If this were my own cat, or a patient of mine, I would shine a Wood's light (ultraviolet) on this, and see if there is any green glow under the light. If there is, this is ringworm, and it should get better with a topical antifungal ointment like 1% miconazole.

If it does not test postive as ringworm, there is still a chance it could still be ringworm. I might take a few hairs to culture for ringworm, and start treating with topical steriods, antibiotic and anti fungal ointments.

Or you could just monitor it, and see if it goes away on its own, which it might, and if it does not, have it tested for ringworm.

Is it itchy to him?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cant tell if its itching him, how urgent is this? Is it contageous to people?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Ringworm can be contagious to people, but usually not to healthy adults. Children or immune compromised people might get it. Washing your hands after petting him, or using hand sanitizer, should help.

If it were itchy to him, he would be licking or scratching at it.

Usually we only see ringworm in young cats and kittens. For a 3 year old to get it would not common, unless he was recently around an infected cat.

It is not urgent at all, unless it starts looking worse or really bothers him.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He sleeps with me evey night and i have been petting him non stop for two days now without washing afterwards, should u get checked?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I would have him tested, yes. That way you will know the best way to treat him and if you have any reason to worry. I have been exposed to ringworm kittens many times in my years of practice, and I have never once gotten ringworm. It actually is not that easy to "catch" if you are a healthy adult. It is a fungus that is common in soil and on the ground, so you can get it from other places than a cat.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

Did this answer your question; was it helpful? I have not heard back from you! Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.