Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My moggy is about 17 years old. He had some teeth out a few

Customer Question

My moggy is about 17 years old. He had some teeth out a few years ago. He began leaving tiny spots of blood wherever he sat. These are getting a bit bigger and there are getting a lot more of them. The vet said it was probably due to fleas but I treat him regularly for them. I am sure they are coming from his mouth. What could it be?
Thank you
C scott
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to mention he being sick almost every day. Mostly a yellowy liquid but sometimes containing a little solid.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Bonnie has been leaving behind blood spots where he sits, which are getting larger and more i number, and is vomiting yellow fluid almost daily.

What color are the blood spots? Are they bright red or more of a brownish/rusty color?

A heavy flea infestation can cause large amounts of flea dirt (flea feces) which can look like blood spots if they get wet. These spots will look darker in color though, rusty red or brownish rather than bright red.

Bright red blood spots indicate active bleeding. That can be from tooth root infections, a gum infection, a bleeding mass in his nose or mouth, an anal gland abscess or infection or colitis (inflammation of the large intestine and bleeding), or urinary tract inflammation.

Is he having any trouble urinating or is he seeming to visit his litter box more frequently?

His vomiting may or may not be related to the blood spots.

Yellow in the vomit means that the small intestine is refluxing bile into the stomach so that when she vomits you see the yellow color.

That isn't normal as bile doesn't belong in the stomach, and it does mean that there is some reverse motility, but it isn't specific for any particular disease process.

In many cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

It may also be helpful to put him on an acid reducing medication as too much stomach acid, especially on an empty stomach, is very irritating and predisposes to vomiting. If he seems to vomit most in the morning on an empty stomach I recommend giving him a dose before bed so that it is in his system in the morning. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are both acid reducers and may help him feel better. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You can try feeding a bland, soft diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

But if things go well and he doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

I would recommend bloodwork, a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and T-4, as well as a urinalysis to look at his health in general. If those are normal then sedation/anesthesia to examine his mouth fully and take radiographs looking for an abscessed tooth root.

Please let me know if you have other details or a particular question based upon my response.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.
Hi Carole Scott,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bonnie. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****